Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Brown Face


I think political correctness has gone a little too far with this roasting of Justin Trudeau for appearing 19 or 20 years ago at a private costume party in “brown face” and Arab attire. Nineteen years ago! He was 27 or 28 years old! He was not a politician at the time. And it was a very different time.

Anyway, what is offensive about brown face at a costume party? If one is living in the dessert, one does tend to brown up, regardless of one’s cold weather complexion. When I was a child I was dressed as King Farouk of Egypt for a party. And oh no, my older brother was dressed as an Indian! Should I apologize? It was 1954 in England.

Sometimes a white actor has to play Othello. Sometimes a black actor may have to play Hamlet. A woman has played King Lear!

What I am offended by is that he felt a need to apologize. What I am shocked at is the outrage! Get real. Shouldn’t one’s intention be what is relevant. He had no intention to offend, and likely, at the time offended no one. 

One can’t fairly judge distant past deeds by present day standards. And sometimes those present-day standards are simply ridiculous. You’ll get no apology from me for frivolous acts of my youth. And there were many. All intended in good fun. None intended to offend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome. You do not have to agree with me. Maybe I do not right now either! But you should be rational, thoughtful and constructive.